Headaches and Migraines
At Milam Chiropractic & Sports Therapy in Tustin, we get questions all the time about headaches and if we can help alleviate the symptoms and pain from headaches. The answer is yes! Headache relief is actually a great reason to begin visiting a chiropractor.
Types of Headaches
There are several different types of headaches that people suffer from, including common headaches and migraines. The most common headaches are:
- Tension Headache: This type of headache is the one people experience a majority of the time. It is usually caused by stress, strain, anxiety, or exhaustion.
- Cluster Headache: This headache occurs on one side of the head and comes in "clusters," which are cycles where the sufferer gets frequent headaches followed by a period where they get few to none.
- Sinus Headache: These types of headaches usually happen at the same time as a sinus infection and will often occur along with sneezing, coughing, congesting and facial pressure.
Many people also suffer from migraine headaches. Migraines can be incredibly intense and usually have other symptoms associated with them along with head pain. Common symptoms that occur before or during a migraine are:
- Pain in the temples or behind the eyes
- Seeing spots, which are called "floaters" or flashing lights
- Sensitivity to sound or light
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Pain on one or both sides of the head
- Tingling or numbness
- Diminished alertness
Chiropractic Care for Headache Relief
Chiropractors can help relieve the pain of headaches by restoring the spine’s natural alignment. When a chiropractor performs an adjustment, it relieves stress throughout your body by improving the function of your spine and releasing built up nerve pressure. Additionally, chiropractors can perform neuromuscular massage which is also known as trigger point therapy. By using this technique, our chiropractor can focus on trigger points in the neck, shoulders, back and head and relieve tension and improve blood flow.
Aside from the actual hands-on work that chiropractors can do to help relieve headaches, they can also suggest dietary changes and recommendations for supplements that patients might be lacking, which could help strengthen their systems and combat the forming of headaches in the first place. Chiropractors can also provide the patient with different stretches, exercises, postures, and relaxation techniques to perform, all of which can also be useful in headache reduction.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Tustin for Headache Relief
Call Milam Chiropractic & Sports Therapy today at 714-731-9355 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor. For an even faster response, please text us at (714) 886-9355.