Sciatica can cause symptoms that make it difficult to get through an entire day at work—let alone participate in your favorite activities. At Milam Chiropractic and Sports Therapy, our Tustin chiropractor can help you regain comfort and confidence in your body and understand the root issues driving your sciatica symptoms.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Contrary to popular belief, sciatica is not a specific diagnosis or disease state. Rather, it is a syndrome of painful and often debilitating symptoms that occur when the sciatic nerve in your lower back area is irritated. Symptoms can include:
- Pain in one or both legs that is often described as burning, shooting, radiating, stabbing, or searing
- Low back pain and stiffness
- Leg weakness, numbness, and/or tingling in the leg and foot
- Pain that changes with movement, time of day, or even stress level
Causes of Sciatica
Usually, sciatica is caused by a problem with a spinal disc such as a bulging disc, herniated disc, or degenerative disc disease. These conditions can cause spinal discs to press against the sciatic nerve root, leading to irritation and nerve dysfunction. Sciatica can also occur if there is the narrowing of a nearby spinal joint, which we see with age-related conditions like spondylolisthesis or spinal stenosis. Less often, sciatica can develop due to a tumor or bony cyst.
While anyone can develop sciatica, we see it most often in adults in their fourth to fifth decade of life. Physically demanding jobs, acute trauma like falls or car accidents, and being overweight are common risk factors.
How our Chiropractor in Tustin Helps People with Sciatica
Dr. Sean Milam serves the Tustin and Irvine, CA area with innovative techniques that are grounded in the traditional modalities of chiropractic care including massage therapy, chiropractic adjustments, core stabilization exercises, and even cold laser therapy and custom orthotics. His services are ideal for people with sciatica because they help:
- Alleviate pressure on the sciatic nerve and allow the nerve and surrounding tissues to heal
- Enhance the nervous system's ability to modulate pain signals and reduce inflammation
- Minimize symptoms while restoring optimal movement and alignment
- Prevent recurring issues and help identify individual root causes
Struggling with Sciatica in Orange County?
If you live in Orange County, CA, and believe you have sciatica symptoms, contact Milam Chiropractic Sports Therapy today. Call us at (714) 731-9355 more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.